Brews + Prose Presents
Cleveland Drafts is a day long literary festival featuring writers reading their works in progress.
Brews + Prose is proud to bring to the spotlight writers from across all genres in all stages of
their writing careers to share works that they are currently developing. This event will explore
what is a work in progress, what a cohesive literary community can be, and how Cleveland is
developing a strong literary presence across multiple genres and platforms.
When & Where
Saturday, October 20th, 2018
Tremont Neighborhood, Cleveland
We will kick off the day’s festivities with a panel. A to B to CLE: towards a literary community
in Cleveland will offer perspectives on the assets and challenges of creating a cohesive literary
community in Cleveland, one that supports its members while attracting others from throughout
the region and the nation.
Call for Submissions
Brews + Prose is curating readers for Cleveland Drafts. Readers are selected by committee. If you are interested in participating, submit your best work via the guidelines below. Readers will be notified in August and reading schedules for the October 20th event will be determined at that time. Please follow the guidelines below when submitting your work.
• Submissions open at 12:01am on April 15, 2018.
• Submissions close at midnight on June 15, 2018. Early submissions are encouraged!
• Selections will be announced by August 15, 2018.
Guidelines for Submission
Writers should submit to the category for which they qualify:
a) Student = Youth and student writers
b) Emerging = early career writers who have published at least 1 individual story, piece or poem, or produced a 10 minute or one act play, but not a full length work.
c) Professional = writers who have professionally published at least 1 full length work or produced a full length play.
To submit your work for consideration:
1. Send an email to email@example.com
2. In the email Subject line, include your category (Student, Emerging, or Professional) and genre (Poetry, Fiction, Creative Non-fiction, Playwriting)
3. Include a brief author bio.
4. Include a PDF copy of your work. Please submit work you feel is your best work and representative of who you are as a writer. This work does not have to be the work you will read at the event but should be in the genre you plan to read in. Manuscripts should be submitted as PDF files.
- If submitting a play, include an introductory page with a brief (up to 200 word) synopsis, cast breakdown, and setting. Send a one act, a ten minute play, or a 10 page excerpt.
- If submitting poetry, send 5 poems
- If submitting prose submit 1 short story or essay, or 1 chapter of an excerpt.
- Include a cover page with name, title, and genre. If this is a play, indicate ten-minute, one-act, or full-length form.
- Include an author page with:
- Contact information (name, address, e-mail, and phone)
- A brief author bio
- A publishing history listing any public readings, workshops, or other presentations
Selections will be announced by email and posted on the Brews + Prose website and Facebook page. Please no requests for updates during the reading period.